Anna-clypse Now

Let's talk about the current political situation in India, after all I am a responsible citizen of India (hey, I'm still searching on how to get my voters' card made). I like my popcorn with chat masala and my aloo chaat in olive oil. My faux-accent comes from my being convent educated (insert inappropriate joke here) and growing up watching Friends everyday (Tartlets anyone?).

I admit I haven't been following the situation in an obsessive manner  but I manage to learn enough to not sound like a total skeez. Bipasha Basu also supports the movement because you know then Amar Singh won't be held accountable for anything. However, she can't attend the protests because the citizens of this fine country will forget Kisan Baburao (do not pretend you know who that is... go ahead - Google it) and focus on her feminine legs.

The controversial Lokpal Bill has been floating in Parliament since 1968 in a manner similar to Sanjay Leela Bhansali actress' sari when chasing the mad bad hero. Is this the closest it's come to being passed? Probably. The movement has fortunately been peaceful so far not counting the traffic problems it poses for some (luckily not for yours truly). The thing I wonder the most about this movement is - how will it end?

Anna (which means brother in Maharashtrian and is a sign of respect - just an awkward piece of small talk for you) has the constitution of an ox and is happy to live on fresh air and patriotic fervor while the protesters are enjoying the many free snacks, jaunty Nehru hats, practice for Indian Idol and the opportunity to be caught screaming on the news and not on Emotional Attyachar.

While I think the bill will be passed, I'm pretty sure that (most of)Team Anna's concessions won't be granted. That would require some effort from the Guv'ment you see. I may not completely agree with the fast-unto-death blackmail, oh did I say blackmail? I meant blackmail. However, it is getting attention to the cause...unlike the Iron Lady of Manipur - Irom Chanu Sharmila who has been fasting for 10 years. 

The Gowernment's version is pretty weak with only Group A officers being covered. Those are not the babus we fear or encounter. We have to deal with lower bureaucrats regularly who like my (most awesome,  intelligent and patriotic) father said - 'Don't have the approval powers, but can destroy you'. With the amount of discretionary power they boast of as well as a maze of procedures out of Harry Potter & Goblet of Fire Third Task, they are completely unaccounted for. I did wonder whether raising civil salaries could have some impact but with bribes and kickbacks bouncing to the tune of thousands of crores (I'm looking at you Kalmadi), and the opportunity omnipresent, will the greed ever be curbed?

 In a country where getting your passport renewed can take anything from 3 days to 3 weeks, does the Government expect us to be *gasp* patient? That's when we resort to the dreaded Bhrashtachar (oh, you went ahead and Googled that too didn't you?). Indians simply cannot be patient, always in a crashing hurry to go back to being lazy. I have many times muttered - 'Exsqueeze me (no I say excuse, that's just me adding some humour), there's a line' , this has almost always met with the sequence - blank look, followed by flash of confusion that a stranger he/she had been staring at (not subtly I might add) is talking and irritation that there are others waiting before because no one else has a life except you.

Irrespective of which Bill is passed, it requires for there to be a social change amongst all of us - to be patient, to have faith and to not resort to crimes (yes, gifting civil servants a Rolex is a crime) as well as a fear of the law and system amongst bureaucrats.

The Guv'ment may be behaving like an elite club of old boys (criteria - one pending murder case/stint in Tihar, few illogical and irrational opinions and a loud voice to use in televised debates. All you have to say is - Arnab, Arnab, ARNAB, ARNAB, Arnab - let me finish. He never will so you're golden) who aren't ready to share what goes on in the clubhouse (that's so morbid I scared myself) with Anna like  Howard Roark who will ultimately break the wall down and build a more modern, transparent and efficient system.

I do still believe in PM Manmohan Singh. We owe it to him that we can enjoy a cold Coke after shopping at Zara and sitting in a Hyundai. As for Sonia ji (G?!), as a forward said to me - 4 days without a woman in the country, look what happens! I think she's busy making a jet pack of her gazillions and eating dollar cakes in a house made of pounds with a blanket of swiss francs to keep her warm. However, if she's gravely unwell, I wish her and her family all the best. But I'm pretty sure about the jet pack.

As PM Manmohan Singh (on the Lokpal protests) - If winter is here, can spring be far behind?

Comments

Bones said…
Succintly put Devika!
Sandhini said…
Very true, very funny. Although I would like to add that while the Anna Ji has the right intentions, the right message and the right constitution (lol) to represent the people and to question the government, the bill and he should not come across as anti-government but only and clearly as anti-corruption. Which they are. The reason being that an anti-government slur doesn't go very far and is ultimately un-constitutional. That's my two bits on the LPB.
Ayushi said…
I did google the iron lady chanu sharmila. very well written!

Popular Posts